University English Centres Australia (UECA) is a network of English language centres attached to Australian universities offering English Language Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS), TESOL teacher training and professional development programs.
Founded in 1998, UECA members continue to provide a wide range of university preparation programs that give students the academic and linguistic platform required to study at some of the top universities in Australia.
- Promote Australian University based English language centres to international and domestic students.
- Enhance UECA members’ capacity to offer continued excellence in teaching.
- Support our members to demonstrate their value to their parent universities and their capacity to recruit and prepare international students to study successfully at their universities.
- Foster networking, sharing of best practice and evidence-based continuous improvement
- Build partnerships with domestic and international universities to help build research capacity, teacher training and ongoing professional development to the global TESOL community.
UECA members offer direct entry English language pathways that articulate international students directly to Foundation Studies (high school equivalent), Diploma programs (first year undergraduate programs), Bachelor programs and Post-graduate programs (Master and Doctorate level).
Many centres also offer programs in academic and general English including English for business and work, teacher training and test preparation (IELTS, CAE, FCE, TOEFL iBT, PTE, OET and BULATS). UECA colleges also tailor English language programs based on specific requests e.g. Study Tours and Study Abroad programs
- Provide information and professional support to members.
- Support research within the ELICOS and university communities.
- Inform government positions and policy.
- Promote studying with partner Australian universities at key domestic and international events.
Why join the UECA network?
UECA offers partner universities an opportunity to:
- Participate in professional development workshops customised for teachers, directors and marketing officers to promote English language courses.
- Share research and data from benchmarking activities.
- Create platforms for information sharing and student recruitment.
- Contribute and shape the policy development activities of UECA.
UECA’s key initiatives
The UECA PD Fests are a one day, professional development event for teachers by teachers. They provide an opportunity for teachers to share ideas and teaching techniques and strategies to build an engaging curriculum. They also explores issues facing the industry and discuss opportunities for career development.
Building on the approach used in UECA PD Fests, an annual Assessment Symposium is held which provides workshops and seminar sessions building the knowledge and capacity of teachers in the crucial area of assessment.
Peer Exchange and Research
UECA provides a forum for national peer exchange on aspects of the ELICOS National Standards as well as key issues in international education. This collaborative research contributes to a national understanding of issues of relevance to University based English language centres as well as providing professional opportunities for centre staff.
Networking and Collaboration
UECA centres and staff are connected with opportunities for networking with other members. Strong collaboration with other relevant industry bodies including NEAS and English Australia are promoted.
How to join UECA
Please contact UECA in the first instance for information about eligibility and the application process.
All enquiries should be made to firstname.lastname@example.org